Museum of the Society of Russian Veterans of the Great War in San Francisco
Exhibits for the Museum began to be assembled in 1940 and, on the anniversary of the 20th anniversary of the Society, celebrated in May 1944, the Museum was opened. His first curator was the late Boris Avdeevich Dolgovo-Saburov, who is also its founder.
Currently, the tasks of the Museum include collecting all items related to the history of the armed forces of Russia and the White Movement.
For this purpose, the Museum is divided into four departments:
4. White fight
The Museum is currently moving into a new building in the same building of the Society, which has been newly renovated and equipped, allowing the Museum to be expanded by creating the only aviation department in exile.
The main objects of the Museum in its departments are the following:
a) in the military department: a rich collection of uniforms, including the entire General Staff, the 1st Hussar Sumy Regiment, the General of the Kuban Cossack Army, etc., including more than ten; collection of orders and medals, academic, school and regimental signs; The banner of the Shanghai Volunteer Russian Regiment and many other items.
b) in the maritime department, the main values will be the models of ships of the Russian fleet currently being manufactured, as well as numerous photographs. Among other valuable items are shoulder straps of naval officers, ribbons of caps, broadsword and other items of equipment, etc.
c) the aviation department, we repeat, is a novelty in the Museum of the Society and a number of interesting items have already been received in it.
Among the first exhibits are models of the Newpor XVII, Spar XIII, Voisin, Moran-Parasol type L aircraft and others; in the near future, Newpor IV, on which the military pilot then Lieutenant Nesterov, made his first “dead loop” in the world, was woken up “, As well as others.
d) the White struggle department contains exhibits dedicated to this difficult and sad heroic epic.
After the Russians were evacuated from Shanghai in 1949, the Museum of the Veterans Society received a large collection of the Shanghai Society of Russian Military Disabled People, several chests with awards and uniforms. The regiment Ivanov and the banner of the Shanghai Russian regiment were brought and transferred from Shanghai.